Ответ

Air Guitar Magazine /Avangard, Experimental, Eastern European/

Опции темы
21.07.2006, 19:12   # 1
kinchos
живет на форуме
Статус: Offline

Польза: +1
Короче группа зверских фриков смешавших Восточно Европейскую музыку с панком и авангардным джазом.В группе 2 трубача ,басист и барабанщик.

This is a review I’ve been meaning to write for a while, but like all things…well, what I wanted was a hook, something interesting to write about. I like the album. I like the album a lot, quite frankly. The question was, well, for one, this is an album that is interesting itself and deserves attention. Perhaps this will work in that way to point towards it, but also, the question for myself is, besides that, what do I have to say about it? In the interest of disclosing conflicts of interest – and actually the next few reviews of mine are about albums made by people I know – I know the guys in Air Guitar Magazine. However, if I thought the album was shit, I just wouldn’t review it. It’s really quite easy. I would have o qualms about letting these meager paragraphs see the light of day or really, to even be created in the first place. So let that info color your prism in any such way you see fit.

Air Guitar Magazine play what I guess can be called some variant of Eastern European/Gypsy culture folk music. Something like that. I’m fond of applying the word “uncanny” when it comes to instances like this, as in, I like to call, say Pavement “uncanny classic rock”. Unheimlich is perhaps better because it gets closer to the source. While I’m no huge fan of Freud’s (Well, I’ve yet to read any Lacan, so I’ll hold off on any judgments. Perhaps he paints him in a nicer light), I think the concept of the unheimlich is one of the more fascinating intellectual creations of the 20th century. Or perhaps fin-de-siecle 19th. Whatever. I’m too lazy to look up the dates and no one gives a shit anyway. Unheimlich is an aesthetic concept, translated it means something like unfamiliar – I’m actually going to leave out the psychoanalytic stuff because I don’t care about it for my point and just use the way it was explained to me – the idea behind the unheimlich is that what is most disconcerting to us is not a piece of art that paints a reality that’s terrifying or horrible in itself – Hieronymus Bosch or Edvard Munch – but rather one that is like reality but slightly off. I’ve used this metaphor before because it’s particularly apt. The most dissonant harmonies are the ones in which the tones are only a beat or two off each other. Hence the translation into “uncanny”.

My use of the word is pretty liberal. I use it, almost specifically in a musical sense, to describe bands that are like X but are slightly off. See above. AirAxeMag are like russo-hungarian folk music but ever so slightly not. Uncanny. See. It’s not terrifying, in the Freudian sense, but this kind of stuff is disconcerting. That’s why it’s good. It brings us back to familiar ideas by route of the unfamiliar. That’s the kind of art that ultimately is worthwhile and enriching, the kind that brings us back home, back to ourselves but only after traversing noel territory– Sorry, I just got finished reading Simon Critcheley’s book on humor, which ends up as some kind of phenomenology of jokes, and his thesis is something like that, that jokes gain their force, their real force as opposed to the standard “they break the tension” or “they say the things we want to say but can’t” bullshit theories of humor (theories of humor? really?), they gain their force through this roundabout movement back to the origin. He doesn’t use the Freudian term though. Hmmm.

Something else to ponder when listening to Bass is the Place is the curious pattern (I’d use the word trend if it wasn’t so connected with the idea of trendiness…all I mean is to denote a curious distribution that comes to light) that’s revealed itself in the past few years of a penchant for the use of eastern European folk music – use, appropriation, whatever term one wants to use – in American indie – yes, indie, independent, whatever – rock, music, etc. I wonder why it’s taken so long for that region’s music to find its way over here. The dissolution of the Iron Curtain? The neo-folk movement and the desire to find new and varied types? The internet opening up new geographical regions (for exploitation?)? Probably all this and more together, but that’ll suffice for a start.

Bass is the Place(2005) 256 кбпс

. el mariachi vs. the space rusyn
2. ukrainian bass fishing
3. big fur(r)y hat
4. this song is called track 3
5. stand(sit)up(down)&(&)tellem(listen)yourfrom(to)pittsburgh(b rian)
6. this song is called track 1
7. rusyn into syxx
8. gone in 30 seconds aka possession with intent to rock
9. fear the reefer

Скрытый текст (вы должны войти под своим логином или зарегистрироваться и иметь 3 сообщение(ий)):
У вас нет прав чтобы видеть скрытый текст, содержащийся здесь.
Наверх
29.07.2006, 23:07   # 2
Evergrin
Гость
очень интересно)...но это жесть конечно што пипетс!
Наверх
Ответ