Roger11
живет на форуме
Статус: Offline

Польза: +3

PIANO RED a.k.a. DR.FEELGOOD - Rocks

Release Date: May 19, 2009

Recording Date: Jul 25, 1950-Mar 8, 1966

Label: Bear Family BCD 16639

For those who aren't feeling sufficiently limbered up to drop a hundred bucks for Bear Family's 122-track The Doctor Is In!, the best way to get acquainted with and possibly permanently dazzled by Speckled Red's little brother Piano Red is probably Bear Family's 33-track condensed edition, Piano Red Rocks, which appeared in 2009. Like the mothership four-CD set, this potent retrospective covers a timeline from 1950 to 1966, opening with a veritable fusillade of boogie and barrelhouse-based R&B briquettes, and combining his toughest RCA Victor titles with examples of his hell-raising brand of piano-driven rock & roll recorded for Checker, Jax, and Okeh in the late '50s and early '60s with his backing units the Meter-Tones and the Interns. A handful of previously unreleased material from the '60s makes this the ideal mini-history of Willie Perryman, aka Piano Red, aka Doctor Feelgood. Note the obvious parallels with Professor Longhair and Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown ("Bald Headed Lena," "She Walks Right In"); echoes of Perry Bradford, Clara Smith, and Sonny Boy Williamson ("I Ain't Fattenin' Frogs for Snakes"), and visitations from Big Joe Turner and Leroy Carr ("I Ain't Gonna Be a Lowdown Dog No More"), as well as "Right String But the Wrong Yo Yo," a monster hit borrowed from his big brother but composed by cornetist Douglas Finnell and recorded with his Dallas-based Royal Stompers (including pianist Sammy Price) back in November 1929. Doctor Feelgood didn't write "Yo Yo," but he popularized the hell out of it in 1962, and has since been erroneously credited as the tune's composer on hundreds of websites worldwide.

The only career retrospective to combine the biggest hits of Piano Red and his alter-ego, Dr. Feelgood. His irresistibly cheerful songs inspired Little Richard, Aretha Franklin and a host of rockabillies including Carl Perkins. Five tracks are released here for the first time ever. -- The boisterous barrelhouse blues of Willie Perryman were a guaranteed good time no matter which name the Atlanta 88s ace recorded under. After scoring five pounding R&B hits in 1950-1951 for RCA Victor as Piano Red (including the piledriving 'Rockin' With Red' and 'Right String But The Wrong Yo Yo') and cutting a slew of additional rockers for the firm that stretched into 1958, Red signed with Columbia's OKeh subsidiary, he switched his moniker to Dr. Feelgood and The Interns and nailed a big hit in '62 with his irresistible 'Doctor Feel-Good'. -- Bear Family's exhaustive four-CD boxed set 'The Doctor's In!' remains the ultimate Piano Red/Dr. Feelgood collection, but this disc boasts a lot of its high points'Red's Victor hits and a generous array of other Victor standouts (including the blistering instrumental 'Wild Fire'), the best of his late '50s sides for Checker and Jax, and five previously unreleased OKeh and Columbia sides from 1962 and '66 that were presumed lost when the box was compiled.

320 kbp/s & covers
180 MB

Tracks:

01. Rockin' with Red
02. Jumpin' The Boogie
03. Red's Boogie
04. Right String But The Wrong Yo Yo
05. Diggin' The Boogie
06. Layin' The Boogie
07. The Sales Tax Boogie
08. She Walks Right In
09. She's Dynamite