Defunkt /free jazz, funk, blues/

Опции темы
11.05.2006, 04:41   # 1
не3дох
observer
Статус: Offline

Польза: +2

Цитата:
In 1973 Bobo Shaw and Joe Bowie decided to settle in New York City, where they founded a group called the Human Arts Ensemble that played a mixture of free jazz, funk and blues. The La Mama Theater let the group use a small performance space on East Third Street, in the heart of the Lower East Side, and despite the unpromising location, they turned it into one of the hot spots of the emerging loft jazz movement, offering early New York performances by such St. Louis stalwarts as Julius Hemphill and Hamiet Bluiett. These concerts attracted a number of musicians and fans, including a young white saxophonist from the Midwest, James Seigfried, who sometimes stayed to jam with Mr. Bowie and Mr. Shaw.

During the next few years, while Joe Bowie kept busy playing the trombone with the Human Arts Ensemble and a number of other jazz bands, Mr. Seigfried veered from free-form improvising to leading a crazed, intense noise-funk band called the Contortions. The Contortions, with Mr. Seigfried performing either as James Chance or James White, became one of the most controversial and talked-about bands on the downtown "no wave" scene. Mr. Seigfried decided he wanted to add a horn section to the Contortions and asked Joe Bowie to put it together. Before long, Mr. Seigfried was fronting an all-black band, with Mr. Bowie as its leader. In the fall of 1979, the band began opening Mr. Seigfried's performances with its own sets, and coming up with its own material. That was the beginning of Defunkt.

Since then, Defunkt has developed a cult following in New York and a somewhat broader audience in Europe, especially in Britain, where the leading music weekly, New Musical Express, recently put Mr. Bowie on its cover. During Defunkt's early residency at the Squat Thater on 23d Street, Joe Bowie became friendly with Janos Gat, who furnished mordant lyrics for some of Mr. Bowie's tunes. The band made an album for Hannibal Records, followed by a single. "We're going to keep doing singles," Mr. Bowie said, "because the last one had reasonable success. Who knows? We might get a hit."

Defunkt employs a shifting galaxy of horn players, including noted jazz musicians like the saxophonist Frank Lowe and Joe Bowie's brother Lester. "But there isn't as much freedom in the rhythm section as there is for the horns," Mr. Bowie emphasized. "I like to keep the rhythms tight to give the people something to latch onto. If you listen, you can hear things straight off the jukebox in our music. I've always been an admirer of Ornette Coleman and I like the electric music he's making now. But it's still very intellectual to me. Defunkt is more commercial, I think."

But Defunkt isn't just another new-funk party band, he stressed. Defunkt has a message. "We want our songs to be very realistic," Mr. Bowie said. "Defunkt's music isn't some 'hey baby' kind of thing; you can see just by looking around you, at what's happening on t he streets and in the world, that these are not the good times, everything is not all right. We're trying to be messengers, or newscasters broadcasting the honest news, telling everybody to wake up."
Defunkt - Avoid the Funk: A Defunkt Anthology

1 - Make Them Dance
2 - Strangling Me With Your Love
3 - Defunkt (Live)
4 - Big Bird (Au Private)
5 - For The Love Of Money
6 - The Razor's Edge
7 - Avoid The Funk
8 - In The Good Times

Скрытый текст (вы должны зарегистрироваться или войти под своим логином):
У вас нет прав чтобы видеть скрытый текст, содержащийся здесь.
Наверх
16.05.2006, 23:37   # 2
ALCOpone
в теме

Польза: 0
не3дох, спасибо, очень понравилось. Есть ещё какие-нибудь их альбомы?
Наверх
17.10.2010, 02:22   # 3
kinchos
живет на форуме

Польза: +1
Live at the Knitting Factory 320 kbps + covers

1. Tell me 6:17
2. To Live To Die 10:36
3. Peace of Mind 5:57
4. D-Batman 7:32
5. Crisis 7:09
6. Come together 5:03
7. Manic Depression 4:03
8. Salsa Negra 5:44
9. Illusion 9:12

Скрытый текст (вы должны войти под своим логином или зарегистрироваться и иметь 30 сообщение(ий)):

Скрытый текст (вы должны войти под своим логином или зарегистрироваться и иметь 30 сообщение(ий)):
Наверх
Отметили: sparrow
Ответ